The Zespri Young and Healthy Virtual Adventure is FREE and runs for 5 weeks in Term 4. You'll receive a Class Pack before it starts, with pedometers, a wall map and a few surprises too!
Places are limited to just 20,000 and fill up quickly, so you will need to get in quick!
Join the Waitlist
Join the fun
Join in the fun by entering your class in the Zespri Young and Healthy Virtual Adventure, and take a global "journey" with our inspiring ASICS Ambassadors, NZ sporting stars; Ardie Savea, Ameliaranne Ekenasio, Kane Williamson and Samantha Charlton.
It's all about helping children to develop healthy habits that benefit them every day in countless ways, but also build the foundations of good mental and physical health and wellbeing to carry them into adulthood.
Children create their own unique avatar who they will see in the video's of each destination your class will "visit". To earn points to move the team around the global course, tamariki engage in daily health habits in the real world, like eating fruit and veges, moving more often, sleeping well, minimising their leisure screen time and drinking plenty of water. You don't need pedometers, as time spent being active also earns points, but we'll send you out as many as you would like (you'll choose when you complete your class set up).
It's so easy to enter points into the online platform and either you to enter a class average for the day (suits younger aged children) or the tauira can enter all their own points. When your team reaches each destination, you will see your avatars interacting with our inspiring ASICS Ambassadors, who will teach you about the place you are "visiting" as well as giving healthy tips!
This program has been run four times in New Zealand now, with demand for places exceeding availability each time. Teachers have told us that they and their akonga love the program because it engages and activates them in so many different ways, boosting team work, creating conversations around health and wellbeing and in some cases, even being the catalyst for some tamariki to attend school. Rather than creating more work, teachers have told us how they have been able to utilise different elements of the program into class lessons such as maths, reading, literacy and of course, health and PE. We'll give you links to loads of great resources you can use, should you wish to integrate it into any area of your curriculum.
It's Evidence Based
Results from a research study led by the University of Sydney have found that participation in the program:
• Improved focus and attention
• Improved attendance and behaviour
• Facilitated positive social behaviour by promoting teamwork and encouraging student relationships
• Enhanced learning opportunities by integrating the Challenge elements into the curriculum
• Leads to statistically significant improvements in activity levels
Post-event research showed that doing more physical activity, becoming fit and feeling healthier were identified by the students themselves as some of the things they liked the most about taking part.
It's FREE to enter!
• You'll receive a class pack of goodies including pedometers if you want them
• You can join in weekly mini-challenges with prizes to be won from Zespri, ASICS and others
• There is a fun Zespri Community to reward a hard-working school
• We encourage whanau to participate as well
How do I use the program?
There is no prescriptive way to implement the Zespri Young & Healthy Virtual Adventure, however here are some of the ways our participants have used it in the past:
• as a fun way to get tamariki more active during breaks and outside of school
• to help with underlying concepts of the HPE curriculum;
- Health promotion
- The socio-ecological perspective
- Attitudes and values
• in the wider curriculum; maths, reading, literacy, geography, culture etc.
• if you are a Healthy Active Learning school, it could be used to achieve some of your objectives
“We used the Challenge every day in every curriculum area to enrich our teaching experience. I cannot thank you enough!”
For over 25 years, founder Kim Harvey has poured her energy, passion and knowledge into inspiring and empowering NZ'ers, big and small, to nurture and improve their mental and physical health and wellbeing as well as they possibly can by taking small steps, every single day.
“Definitely social, too, working with part of the team and encouraging communication"